The Art-Lover’s Tour of France
Certainly, there’s enough fine art in France to cover many and many trips! You may not consider yourself to be an expert in art, but in planning your next trip to France, you would be remiss in not setting aside some time to feast your eyes on some of the following masterpieces:
- In southern France, the Musee Toulouse-Lautrec in Albi displays over 1,000 pieces by innovative 19th century artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. Housed in a 13th century fortress – a work of art itself – the collection includes pictures, lithographs, drawings, and preparatory studies.
- Created in 1993, the La Vallon du Villaret sculpture park in Bagnols-les-Bains is a contemporary sculpture garden housed within a forest. With a mix of temporary and permanent exhibits designed for interaction and play, this exhibit is perfect for families or those traveling with active members.
- While many cathedrals in Paris are known for their beautiful Gothic architecture, one stands out for its exquisite display of stained glass: Sainte Chapelle. Located in the heart of Paris, this cathedral’s 6,458 square feet of stained glass windows are considered by many to be some of the best of their kind in the world.
- The Musee Marmottan on rue Louis-Boilly in Paris houses more than 130 paintings, watercolors, pastels, and drawings by Monet, including his famous Water Lilies. Although much of Monet’s work is dispersed throughout the rest of Europe, the Musee Marmottan houses the largest collection, and therefore is well worth a visit.
- Also in Paris, the Musee Rodin Paris completes our list. Containing a large collection of Rodin’s sculptures, this museum has the added attraction of being housed in the former Hôtel Biron, a jewel of Parisian rocaille architecture.
Whether you’re a dyed-in-the-wool art lover or just a casual appreciator of beauty, you’ll find that France offers nearly endless delights for those who have set their hearts to mining its artistic treasures.
For more information regarding your next trip to France, please feel free to contact us.